Sunday 25 May 2014

Thank You!

THANK YOU!

My sincere thanks to all the people of the North East Ward for re-electing me as a councillor for the area. Thanks also to my family, my comrades in the Workers' Party and all those who helped out in the election.  I am humbled by the huge support I got from people and I hope I can live up to your expectations of me.   Sorry I could not be joined by my party colleague and comrade James Coughlan who got a very respectable vote in Cork City North West on his first electoral outing.  I think James has shown great heart and has the potential to make it next time.

Congratulations to Stephen Cunningham who just pipped me at the post for the first seat.

The result of this election is a clear message to the government, the EU and the banking elites that the people will no longer be taken for granted, but the battle is a major one and has really only just begun.   The issues of water charges, cutbacks in health, education, welfare and essential services have not gone away. The battle against privatisation is still to be fought.  The austerity agenda is being driven by powerful forces and can only be defeated if the majority in society, the working class, stand united and fight.  That fight will not be won in the council chambers alone, in the Dáil or in the European Parliament.  It can only be won on the streets and in the communities across this city, across the country and worldwide.

Once again thank you to everyone. I continue to be available to constituents and can be contacted at (086) 1908281 or by email at tedtynan@gmail.com